- A new species of frog that looks like Kermit.
- Serena and Lily's clothing line is everything you'd expect it to be. I love these pants and this mint dress the most.
- 7 lost slang American slang words. I'm in favor of reviving spizzerinctum.
- We are working our way through the chapter books on this list of 100 Best Books for Children.
- Every ingredient in this dinner is my favorite.
- And in that same vein; some good advice for pasta lovers.
- Why you should spend money on experiences, not things.
- I've always been curious about ramps. And now I know.
- I'm listening to this book on Audible (read by the author; equal parts juicy & inspiring).
- I just started reading this on my Kindle.
- A great list of chairs under $300. I can't stop thinking about this one.
- I'm so curious about how this candle smells.
- I'll be signing my picky eaters up for a subscription to this magazine.
Friday, April 24, 2015
Wednesday, April 15, 2015
Friday, April 3, 2015
- Looking forward to watching this HBO documentary by one of my favorite directors about one of my favorite subjects.
- Also, I'm surprised by this favorite actor of mine playing Henry VIII, but you know I'll be watching.
- Should grown men use emoji? (I vote yes).
- I'm planning to make this as a side for a pre-Easter dinner Saturday night.
- I recently stopped using water and started using this to wash my face. So far, so good.
Thursday, April 2, 2015
Friday, March 27, 2015
I'm in Vegas for the weekend. I've never been here! It's really...something! Have a great weekend.
- I can't resist personality quizzes: Are you an Upholder an Obliger a Questioner or a Rebel? I'm an Obliger with occasional Rebel tendencies.
- The anti-it bag. Because those who know, know.
- Has anyone watched this new Netflix series? Drama! Florida Keys!! Super hot dad/coach from Friday Night Lights!!! SISSY SPACEK!!!!
- Suddenly questioning why anyone ever iced the sides of layer cakes.
- An unexpected way to relieve stress.
- I just bought these, and I plan on living in them.
- A fabulous outfit guide for spring and summer weddings. And also for just being fabulous.
- Love our new Trader Joe's and I especially love hearing about what other people buy there. It's more than a grocery store!
Wednesday, March 25, 2015
On the first "normal" day of our trip (ie not the day we arrived & tried to stay awake for 48 hours) we had signed up for French cooking classes taught in English in Montmartre. Ellie took a French desserts class and my mom and I took a 3 hour (!) macaron class. These classes were really fun and really everything you could hope for in a cooking class. They made us feel a little like Paris insiders. We met locals (the chefs) and visitors (our classmates). It was the perfect first day thing to do.
On the second day (Tuesday) we set out for the Louvre. There was no line! Turns out (guide book user fail) the Louvre is not open on Tuesdays! This wasn't a big deal. We headed for the Musee d'Orsay instead and then the Saint Germain des Pres area for some shopping and Laduree for some tea and...more macarons.
a playground in Montrmarte.
We took the Metro on the first day. It was a little daunting to figure out, but there is a Paris Metro app that makes things pretty easy. By the end of the week, we had the hang of it.
Sacre Coeur in the background.
No line at the Louvre! No line at ALL.
Musee d'Orsay clock overlooking the city.
We'd read about these fountains in this guidebook & it was fun spotting them around the city.
Apparently Parisians aren't crazy about all these locks because they're making the Pont des Arts bridge dangerously heavy. Whoops.
Behind that graffiti plywood is locks that stretch across the entire bridge on both sides.
Macarons from scratch = really complicated and very detailed. Also, our extremely French chef/teacher is also a huge fan of Myrtle Beach, SC!
Folding food coloring into the dough for the cookie part of white chocolate lemon macarons. There is one recipe for the cookie part of the macaron; the only difference is the addition of food coloring. The flavor is added via the filling. We made salted caramel, dark chocolate passion fruit and white chocolate lemon. Choosing a favorite would be like choosing a favorite child.
These girls made four different kinds of desserts in a fraction of the amount of time it took us to make macarons.
The girls' chef, Constance. She was as sweet and adorable as she looks.
Friday, March 20, 2015
- Even with two English degrees, I still Google stuff like this. Happy spring!
- Are you going to watch Monica Lewinsky's TED talk? I am.
- On our trip I made hundreds of mental notes about Parisian street style (comme ça).
- Ellen + Madonna singing in a bathroom. Equal parts awkward + awesome.
- Round is the new aviator. These are on my wishlist.
- Some of these soon-to-be-extinct baby names are sincerely fantastic! Nanette?! INIGO?
- On my long-running list of salads to try.
- Who knew that there's a correct-er way to wear bobby pins?!
blogged while listening to