about       read       kids       food       etc.       contact

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

perfect

"Babe Paley had only one fault, she was perfect. Otherwise, she was perfect." -Truman Capote




Ever since I read this book about 15 years ago, Babe Paley has been my personal style icon. The term "personal style icon" kind of makes me want to roll my eyes at myself, but there is really no better way to say it. 

Is it possible to be overstated and understated at the same time? That's the sensibility I get from Babe. She lived in a grand and elegant way, but there was an approachability to her that set her apart from her contemporaries (Gloria Guinness, Lee Radziwill, Slim Keith and C.Z. Guest).  It's hard to think of today's equivalent. Lauren Bush or Aerin Lauder, perhaps?

If you find Babe as interesting as I do, you can read more about her in The Sisters by David Grafton, Answered Prayers by Truman Capote and portions of Capote biographies by Gerald Clarke or George Plimpton

Who are your style icons?


No comments:

Post a Comment