about       read       kids       food       etc.       contact

Friday, July 13, 2012

salad+

This was one of my first posts and somehow it got deleted in my efforts to learn Blogger. Here it is again!
*Life changer alert* A friend of mine hosted a lovely birthday dinner and served a BIG chopped salad. She's a working mother of two who runs about 100 miles a day. "How on earth did you have time to chop everything into these teeny tiny pieces!?" I demanded. Here's the answer. I ran out and got one immediately from Bed Bath & Beyond. For $20, it's been a pretty stellar investment. Here are some of my favorite combos:
  • Classic Chopped Salad: romaine lettuce, carrots, onions, celery, apples, sliced turkey. Chop, mix then add bleu cheese and a touch of vinaigrette (my favorite here)
  • Zucchini Walnut side dish: zucchini, walnuts, garlic (don't chop the garlic, use a grater or Microplane). Saute lightly. Add dried cranberries and crumbled goat cheese
  • Carrots + Apples + Raisins. My kids don't love apples or carrots, but they somehow like them together. Yummy with a little yogurt, too.
  • Peach Salsa: peaches, tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, garlic (don't chop- use a grater or Microplane) jalapeno (remove seeds, use to your taste)
  • Avocado + hard boiled eggs. Add lemon juice and mayonnaise to taste
Warning: it's not the easiest to clean. See that little comb/fork-y thing at the bottom- that's how you clean it. I say it's worth the effort. Others disagree. 

What are some of your favorite salads?

No comments:

Post a Comment