about       read       kids       food       etc.       contact

Saturday, July 14, 2012

July summer reading

Something about summer reading just seems better than reading during other times of the year, doesn't it? I've read every one of Dorothea Benton Frank's Lowcountry-based novels, and this one might be my favorite. Sullivan's Island is just IT for me in terms of when-I-win-the-lottery beach home ownership, and this story takes place just down the street from Poe's Tavern. Heroine Jackie has recently lost her fire-fighter husband. She and her young son Charlie return home for the summer to Jackie's mother's house on Sullivan's Island. Her parents separated, her son in despair, they help each other help themselves. My favorite parts of DBF books are the hospitality hints she weaves throughout the story. I'm not spoiling anything when I ask, "have you ever melted maple syrup and butter together and then served over pancakes?" Yum!


What are you reading this summer?

Light Strings: Restoration Hardware // iPad case: Madewell // Tunic: Sail to Sable // Sandals: Jack Rogers // Hammock: Pawley's Island // Book: Porch Lights, by Dorothea Benton Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment