about       read       kids       food       etc.       contact

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

kitchen super powers

I don't like to use the word "supermom" for a whole long list of reasons that I won't bore you with here. But, if I ever change my mind, then I'd definitely use it to describe my friend Ashley whose refrigerator alone is just beyond anything I could ever hope to recreate in my own life. It's what I would imagine (in shape) Oprah's fridge looks like: chock full of necessities lined up nice and neat, but also pretty glass bowls of homemade, organic, healthy meals and snacks all ready to go like a tiny little cross-section of Whole Foods right in your own kitchen. Ashley has graciously answered all of my nine hundred questions about prepping healthy breakfasts and lunches for the week along with creating a dinner meal plan that doesn't make me want to order pizza at 5pm

I told my husband that I was in phase 1 of Ashley-fying our fridge, and he looked nervous. But so far it's given us both a small burst of happiness to open the fridge and actually be able to SEE what's in there without having to navigate through 50 bottles of salad dressing and old leftover cartons. 

Here are some of her tips to get started:
  • Clean and cut up produce right away and store it in clear containers. (this seems simple, but I cannot express how wonderful it's been to offer only fruit and vegetable snacks to my kids instead of "healthy" bars or crackers).
  • Make big batches of steel cut oatmeal, quinoa, and whatever healthy grains you like on Sunday so that you have them for the week.
  • Make small side salads and store them in small containers to send off with lunch or grab and be ready quickly at home.
  • (this one I haven't tried yet) Make most of your dinners on Sunday and then just re-heat them in a 200 degree oven during the week. This takes an advanced level of planning that I haven't reached yet, but it sounds pretty fantastic to be able to serve something hot and delicious without having to go through the whole kitchen prep/clean up production on a week night.
Here is a list of Ashley's kitchen must haves:




Thank you Ashley!!!

How do you stay organized in the kitchen? 

1 comment:

  1. i don't. However, I'm making a pledge to take baby steps in the right direction. I think I can handle step one. pretty positive, I cannot handle step 4.

    ReplyDelete