about       read       kids       food       etc.       contact

Monday, April 8, 2013

Lilly

image via 
On Friday my daughter was getting dressed and said, "well, if I'm going to a birthday party, I'd better wear my Lilly Pulitzer!" That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it? Growing up in South Florida, Lilly Pulitzer's influence was everywhere. You could wear her colorful juice-toned dresses just about any day of the year, but they were especially appropriate on Mother's Day, Father's Day, Easter, 4th of July, Memorial Day, Kentucky Derby Saturday, Master's Sunday, Valentine's Day, Labor Day, wedding showers, baby showers and of course: birthdays. They are happy clothes. I was just commenting to a friend how I like Lilly best in a classic, bright, go-to-hell (Tom Wolfe's phrase, not mine) shift dress that doesn't reflect any particular trend or season. I think Lilly's relentless use of color, cheer and attention to detail really define what it means to be wildly successful: find something you're good at; and do it in a way that only you can. 
Cheers to you, Lilly Pulitzer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment