about       read       kids       food       etc.       contact

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Gone Girl

Have you read Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl? Yowzers. It's been a while since I've read a book this engrossing. Forgive me, but I was pretty unimpressed with 50 Shades of Grey, and I was reluctant to pick up another "must read" book of the moment. Boy, am I glad I did. In his book On Writing Stephen King emphasizes the importance of truth-telling in fiction. I've never understood exactly how (good) writers do this, because...isn't the point of fiction to make stuff up? So, how do you tell the truth and create make-believe at the same time? Um, read Gone Girl if you want to see how.

The characters are so outrageously real that I found myself nodding my head in recognition, then shuddering in fear when I discovered how loony-tunes they are. Gillian Flynn zeroes in on the teeny tiny truths that make up our very 2012 existence in a way that is both hilarious and terrifying.

The premise is this: a pretty, wealthy, happy wife goes inexplicably missing one day. Her handsome husband seems somehow likable and guilty at the same time. So where is she? What happened? Who's good, who's bad and who's crazy?

This is Flynn's third novel, and I've definitely got the first two (Sharp Objects and Dark Places) on my queue, but I think I need to read something a little more...happy... in between. I've got my eye on this.

Have you read Gone Girl yet? 
What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment